E-mail Friend   |    Print Version

Northern Virginia Ranked 13th in North America
Royals, Majestics, and VA Alliance Again Garner Super Y-League Honors
United Soccer Leagues (USL) announced earlier this month the final Super Y-League (SYL) First and Second-11 Club rankings for the 2011 regular season, recognizing the league’s top clubs on a competitive and administrative basis. Northern Virginia Royals (boys) and Majestics (girls) youth soccer teams, together with partner club VA Alliance, earned thirteenth place overall of the 110 Super Y-league clubs in North America. 
With the 2011 ranking, Northern Virginia finished in the top twenty Super Y-League rankings for the fifth consecutive year.  Additionally, the Northern Virginia Royals program landed a number ten spot in separate First-11 Club honors for their success the past season.
Taking top honors across both the boys and girls divisions were MPS Bulldogs/Renegades Soccer Club from Boston, Massachussetts as the club accumulated a total of 93.97 points. The Northern Virginia Majestics/Royals grabbed the prestigious number one ranking a two years ago with a score of 81.80 for the 2009 season.

The MPS Renegades U17 Girls were crowned North American Champions this year after a dramatic come-from-behind victory against the Northern Virginia Majestics. After going down 1-0 early, the Renegades came back to score three goals and capture the title.

The Ottawa Fury finished first in the Boys First 11 with a total of 93.17 points. Ottawa also finished fourth in the overall standings and sent seven teams to this year’s Super Y-League North American Finals. 

The SYL launched the First and Second 11 Ranking System in 2005 with the top clubs ranked from 1-22 in three categories: overall, boys and girls. The extensive growth of the USL Super-20 League in the past three seasons has led to the inclusion of the Under-20 league in the ranking process. The rankings are based primarily upon the on-field results. Point percentage accounts for 70 percent of the score while minimum standards and operations complete the other 30 percent.
Northern Virginia Football Club, comprised of the Northern Virginia Royals (male), Northern Virginia Majestics (female), and NOVA FC (male and female) USL teams, is represented by seven teams in the 2010 North American Finals as well as thirty-three players in the previous SYL ODP Camp pool.  Thirty-two players from the Royals, Majestics, and NOVA FC Super Y-League programs comprised Northern Virginia’s representation last year.  
The USL North American Finals will be held in Tampa, Florida, and is scheduled to run from November 20th through November 23rd.   A total of sixteen teams will clash at every age level in the boys Super Y-League’s U13-U17 divisions. On the girls side, twelve teams will meet from each of the five age divisions. The 2010 version of the Super Y-League finals is the greatest representative of elite youth talent in North America now that the league encompasses nine regions across the United States and Canada.


  Copyright 2018 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.